Klagenfurt am Wörthersee is the capital of the federal state of Carinthia in Austria. It is located in southern Austria, close to the border to Slovenia and Italy, and it is situated next to Wörthersee (a popular bathing lake and main tourist destination in summer).
Reaching Klagenfurt by plane (direct flights)
- Klagenfurt Airport (KLU) is regularly connected to Vienna (Austrian Airlines, several flights every day), to Cologne (Eurowings, every day except Tuesdays and Wednesdays), and to Berlin (Eurowings, Tuesdays and Saturdays).
Reaching Klagenfurt by plane (combined with train/bus/etc.)
The following airports are close to Klagenfurt:
- Ljubljana Airport (LJU) + bus of AlpeAdriaLinie to Klagenfurt (≈1h30min; only one bus (at 18:32) on Sunday, more buses on other days, schedule).
- Graz Airport (GRZ) + regional train to Graz Hbf, then train with one change (≈3h), or direct bus operated by the train company (ÖBB) (≈2h).
- Salzburg Airport (SZG) + city bus to Salzburg Hbf, then direct train to Klagenfurt (≈3h; every ≈2 hours during the day; the last train 20:12).
- Vienna Airport (VIE) + regional train to Vienna Hbf, then direct train to Klagenfurt (≈4h; every ≈2 hours during the day; the last train 19:23 from Vienna Hbf). (NB: There is also a direct train from Vienna Airport to Klagenfurt, 8:33 and 14:33, but it goes via Salzburg, and the whole journey would take almost 7h, so we don’t recommend this option!)
Other airports connected to Klagenfurt by train are:
- Venice Marco Polo Airport (VCE) or Treviso Airport (TSF) + an ATVO bus to Venice Mestre train station; then direct train to Klagenfurt (≈3h30min; 10:40 and 16:04).
- Munich Airport (MUC) + regional train to Munich Hbf, then train to Klagenfurt (direct or with change in Salzburg; ≈5h; every ≈2 hours during the day; the last train 18:17 from Munich Hbf).
- Frankfurt Airport (FRA) (≈9h, with changes in Munich/Salzburg, use bahn.de for details/tickets).
Reaching Klagenfurt by train (also applies to the bus from Graz)
To see the train schedules / buy a ticket, use the website of the Austrian Railways (ÖBB) or, if relevant, of the German Railways (Deutsche Bahn). The main railway station is Klagenfurt Hauptbahnhof (abbreviated as Klagenfurt Hbf).
The University of Klagenfurt — Alpen-Adria-Universität Klagenfurt
The University of Klagenfurt is located in the western part of Klagenfurt, very close to the Wörthersee lake (≈10 minutes walking distance). The university can be reached using the public transport system, from the main railway station (Hauptbahnhof) or from Heiligengeistplatz – the principal bus station in the city center. A single bus ticket can be bought from the driver: it is called “60-Minuten-Karte” (“sechzig-Minuten-Karte”), it costs 2.20€ (one can change buses within this time). There is a journey planner on this website (enter Klagenfurt Universität as destination), but here are the most usual ways to reach the university:
- From the main railway station, take bus 81 to the stop Universität (direction Krottendorf; goes every 30 minutes, the last bus 19:52; does not operate on Sundays). Or take any bus that stops at Heiligengeistplatz, then… see below.
- From Klagenfurt Airport, take bus 42 to the stop Heiligengeistplatz (direction Hauptbahnhof; goes every 1 hour, the last bus 18:56; on Sundays every 2 hours, the last bus 19:13), then… see below.
- From Heiligengeistplatz, take bus 81 (see above) or bus 60 to the stop Universität (direction Klagenfurt West or Universität; goes every 30 minutes, the last bus 20:00; on Sunday every hour, the last bus 19:25).
- From Heiligengeistplatz, take bus 10 to the stop Minimundus - Universität (direction Klagenfurt Strandbad, goes every 30 minutes, the last bus 20:00), then ≈7min walking (see the map below).
- After 21:00, there are also night buses from Heiligengeistplatz: bus 90 to the university, and bus 92 which stops at Minimundus - Universität (21:00, 21:45, 22:30, 23:15 for both lines).
- From the main railway station, take a regional train (S-Bahn) S1 to station Klagenfurt West Bahnhof (direction Lienz or Hermagor or Spittal or Villach; one or two trains per hour during the day, the last train 23:42; on Sunday one train per 2 hours), then ≈12min walking (see the map below). Consider using this possibility if you arrive by train and if your accommodation is close, but make sure to buy a ticket to this station!
- If all this fails, take a taxi. It should cost ≈15€ from the main train station, ≈25€ from the airport.
Here is a list of hotels close to (and sorted by the distance to) the university:
- Hotel Seepark (bus 60, stop Europapark),
- Hotel Plattenwirt (bus 10 or 20, stop Schiffanlegestelle),
- Pension Wachau (bus 81, stop Jugendgästehaus or Ginzkeygasse, or bus 10, stop Heinzelsteg or Neckheimgasse),
- Hotel Rokohof (bus 81, 10 or 61, stop Steinerne Brücke, or regional train, station Klagenfurt Lend),
- Hotel Rösch (bus 81, stop Süduferstraße/Gasthof Rösch),
- Hotel Weidenhof (bus 81, stop Süduferstraße/Gasthof Rösch).
For a budget accommodation, check out the Youth Hostel – Jugendgästehaus (bus 81, stop Jugendgästehaus, or bus 10, stop Neckheimgasse).
In the following map we marked the relevant train and bus stations, hotels, shops, pharmacies, restaurants, etc. (use “see data layers” control to filter these categories).
Further local information concerning Klagenfurt will be posted here in due course.
Contact us if you have any questions!